Sonntag, 25. Oktober 2009

A Campfire at Delhi Airport

What a trip!
Our flight has two hours delay leaving Frankfurt and then cruises above Delhi for an other 45 minutes due to "heavy trafic". I guess this is going to be the theme of the next two weeks.
I had gone through some effort to make sure the hotel sends someone to come pick me up but I guess I can forget about that being almost three hours late.
Imigration goes fine, as I did get my visa after all. It was the last thing I packed Friday afternoon picking it up at the post office as registered mail but I got it.
OK, I'll just pick up my pack and see how to get a taxi without getting roally ripped off.
But - the luggage is not coming off the plane and on the belt. The entire Boing 767 is waiting for over an hour until the bags are there. Must be the luggage guys are bussy unloading the KLM flight or so.
Finally my pack pops up and I head for the gate.
Outside is a sheer mass of people. It's one o'clock in the morning mind you.
And all of them are holding pickup signs in their hands. IF my driver is still here, how am I ever going to find my name on the 273 signs held more or less my way?
I stroll along the right row of signs, and THERE IT IS! Jan Siebrecht.
And we are off for the hotel.
Outside I start to wonder who is having a campfire at the Airport. It's fogy as we drive down town. And the smell of fire never leaves. Slowly it dawns on me. Delhi is one of the most poluted cities - in India at least if not the world. It's not a campfire, it's just the smog of the city.
Even the AC of my room can not do anything about that. It may cool it down a little but can not make it go away.
But at 2:30 in the morning I fall asleep anyway. - Even though is only 10 p.m. for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Holger Siebrecht said...

Maybe that's the biggest difference between Delhi and Mumbai (besides, oh, I dunno, 10 million more people in Mumbai): Once you get of the plane in Delhi everything smells a little like smoke whereas once you get off the plane in Mumbai everything smells a little like shit. Take your pick, har! Hope you're having a smashing time, though, and keep up the good work.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Niko said...

Air India, ich habs ja gesagt :)
Naja, ist in jedem Fall eine gute Vorbereitung auf das, was einen dann vor Ort erwartet... wünsche Dir viel Spaß, wird auf jeden Fall eine unvergessliche Reise.

10:27 AM  

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home